Friday, November 20, 2009

31 Weeks and Birthing Classes

I've just entered the single-digit countdown (only nine more weeks to go!).

Here is what one website says about our baby at week 31!
"From this week on, your baby will continue to gain around ½ pound a week until shortly before birth! Other highlights this week:
Due to increasing space constraints, your baby's arms and legs stay drawn up close to the body now, known as the fetal position (oh, so that's where that name came from!). Plus, your baby can now process information from all five senses! By now, your baby's lungs are the only system not fully mature. And by mature, we're not saying that the rest of your baby's systems are mature enough to be out past 10 PM with the neighborhood hooligan, just that her lungs need a little bit more time to bake before they can kick it in the outside world. Your baby weighs about 3½ pounds and measures a little over 16 inches!"

Wow she is getting big in there! Still not settled on a name for her, but... we have 9 more weeks to decide unless she decides to make an early appearance for some reason! She seems pretty comfy in there though, so it may be a while before we get to see her. I can feel her moving around constantly now, and now it is not just kicks and jabs here and there, she actually rolls and tumbles and let me tell you it feels like she is turning my insides inside out sometimes! I am enjoying it though for the most part, except for that small issue of sleep apnea that seems to be haunting my third trimester!

Oh, I almost forgot, we went to Birthing Class for the first time this week, we were supposed to go last week but had to miss the first class because I was sick and running a fever, but we went this week and actually had fun and learned a lot! We practiced breathing and relaxation techniques to get me through some of the deepest labor pains that I may have... and Matt learned how to coach me through the pain. I don't know how well all this stuff works, but our instructor says distraction is the name of the game and the more you can distract yourself the better off you will be! I don't know that I believe all this stuff will actually work in distracting me throughout that kind of pain, but I guess at that point I will be willing to try anything!

That is my news for now... catch u later!

No comments: